Friday, February 13, 2009

On the Road Again

Today marked my return to driving practice. I'm going to try again to get my license. It took a long time to recover from the failed road test, but I'm back at it.

My sister came up this morning to be my designated passenger. I did alright, although I still have several things to work on, such as: picking out landmarks for deceleration; maintaining speed while changing lanes; watching out for old ladies who come to a complete stop before turning off the main highway; and negotiating the Walmart parking lot.

I managed to find my way around town alright. I found the church, Walmart, and Taco Johns. Then I found my way home again without getting lost. I consider that an accomplishment. That and not being nearly as nervous as I had previously when behind the wheel. Other drivers still make me nervous, but not so much as before.

I think the next time I drive, I'll cruise the residential neighborhoods for places to practice parallel parking and y turns. I got pretty good at the former, but I haven't done it since I failed the road test and stopped driving in town.

All in all, it was a good driving experience, and should make the next excursion that much better.

No comments: