Saturday, August 19, 2006

Fiesta Time

Hello, reader. It's Saturday again. This afternoon, we are off to my in-laws' for a "Mexican Fiesta". There will not be any Mexicans there(I asked), nor will there be anything even remotely Mexican besides the food(which itself is reason enough to go - Mexican food is awesome).

I am making this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mexican Chicken and Rice

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 med. green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can(8 3/4-oz.) whole kernal corn, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder(opt.)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, saute chicken, green pepper and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add corn, broth, salsa, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use maximum cheese, if not extra. I love cheese. I have no idea where I found this recipe. Either the internet or a cooking magazine. It's delicious. Definitely worthy of a family fiesta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think Cumin would taste good in this?

Jes said...

There's only one way to find out. I'm not exactly sure what Cumin tastes like, since it's only in a few recipes I've used. I say go for it.