Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Wonderful World of Fanfiction

Fanfiction(fanfic), for those of you who don't know, is fiction based on characters of television, books, or movies. It is just for fun and nobody makes any money from it.

I started writing fanfic about 7 years ago, but gave up on it, leaving a great cliffhanger ending on my story. I still haven't finished that one.

This year, I started writing again and I had forgotten how much fun it can be. I write my stories in installments, which I post on a web forum. I write short installments, so I can stay ahead of the postings(I only post one part a week).

Feedback is the best part. It's so much fun to be able to interact with my readers.

Fanfic is great practice for those with serious literary aspirations. There is little pressure. Your readers don't expect your work to be good or even necessarily believable, but they let you know when they really like it.

I highly recommend it as a writing exercise or a relaxing hobby.

No comments: