Thursday, June 01, 2006

Super Mom to the Rescue

This morning I had a crash course in speed baking. The kids with summer birthdays have assigned "birthdays" during the regular school year. Yesterday, my 3rd-grader found out for sure that hers is TODAY. I had to bake cookies.

I decided to bake sugar cookies. I got the dough all mixed up and realized it had to chill for two hours! This is one of the reasons I never bake sugar cookies. It might help if I read all of the directions first though, huh?

So I wondered if maybe I could chill it faster in the freezer. I didn't get to find out because I subsequently forgot about the dough and went to bed.

I woke up this morning, hit the snooze button, then remembered the cookies. (This "Oh Crap" moment brought to you by tired mothers everywhere.) It was almost 6:00 a.m. and I had to wake the kids up and the baby was crying. This was a job for Super Mom!

I had about 45 minutes to bake cookies and get kids off to school. Chocolate chip cookies to the rescue. I could practically make them in my sleep. I'm not talking "break-and-bake" wimpy stuff. I mean real cookies. [I would like to take this moment to thank God for microwaves, babies who decide to go back to sleep, and ovens in which you can bake a dozen and a half cookies at once.]

The dozen came out nicely, but the half dozen were overcooked a bit(read darn-near burned). So, I figured some poor kids would just have to be satisfied with smallish extra-browned cookies. Luckily for them, I managed to get another dozen baked and cooled enough to replace them before the bus came. The day is saved!

Now I shall hang up my Super Mom cape for the day.

No comments: